Sunday, February 17, 2008

ODE TO AZOOZ

ODE TO AZOOZ


Is there a place without memories
That I can go to escape
The pain and the fear
That casts a shadow over me to date?

How can I forget
Those soft red juicy lips
The cotton-like cheeks
And every other little tid-bit?

Perhaps it is so
That I really don't want to forget
My darling precious grandson
Who died at little over two-not lived long yet.

We pass by the sea-side
Memories there so fond
Of how he loved splashing in the incoming waves
And playing in the sand-O so strong!

Then there's the sky at night—
Oh! The beautiful star-lit sky!
The moon shining full and bright!
The memories so dear- O me! O my!!

And what about popcorn or potato chips?
Or candy and chocolate bars galore?
Or French fries and ketchup?
Only a few of his favorites-yet there's so much more!

Then there's his little thongs
Left as a lonely starking reminder
Of happy days spent at holiday time
So painful and yet so dear-got myself in a real binder!

Came across his discarded jacket one day
Quite by accident, you see
Was putting some things away in a closet
And there it was-just waiting for me.

Broke down at that point
Really lost it-couldn't go on any longer
Had to hug it just imagining-remembering-
His soft sweet little body

Oh God, I miss my little Azooz
So much it hurts physically at times
And then I have to remember
He was only a loan to us for the time

For as we are told in the Quran:
We are from Allah,
And to Him is our return.

In this is a lesson for us all
Myself first and foremost indeed
That we not hold on with such a strength
To this life – of that we all must take heed.

2 comments:

Safiyyah said...

As Salaamu Alaikum Sis:

From Allah we come and to Him we return.

May your little grandson secure the best seat for you in the Hereafter/Ameen.

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu sister,

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhee Raji'oon.

This was a beatiful yet heart wrentching poem. Subhan'Allah, It is so hard when we lose the one we love.

May Allah give you and your family patience and strength, ameen.

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Allah, the Exalted, says: 'I have no reward other than Jannah for a believing slave of Mine who remains patient for My sake when I take away his beloved one from among the inhabitants of the world".
[Al-Bukhari].