Monday, April 7, 2008

FROM VIETNAM TO ARABIA

FROM VIETNAM TO ARABIA


It was the time of my youth
Yet I was becoming aware
Of what was going on about me
Here, there-everywhere.

Oh, I've never been a wizard
At global civil issues
But the Vietnam war awoke in me
A sense-on which I used many tissues.

But like to many teenagers
Of my day and age
I was more concerned about myself
And those around me in such a rage.

And like so many I was affected
By our own country's propaganda
So that I believed what they presented us
Of the Red Indians, the rag-heads, even of Uganda!

So, then, why shouldn't I be taken in
By the stories they professed
Of how those dirty evil scumbags
Of Nam were imposing upon us?

And Hollywood joined in the campaign
Eventually presenting us with entertaining fare
Of how those nasty Viet-cons would soon come after us all
Even to the extent of our very own laire!

So why shouldn't we support our leaders
Who did so masterly dare
To send our young men into the gates of hell
Way over there?

I mean, the front was not on our land
We were not facing the danger over here
The conflict itself was far, far away
So why should we even care?

Raise the patriotic blood pressure,
That was their plan!
Make the world safe for living
For every women, child, and man!

But they had a fine plan indeed
To play to the masses
Don't raise the standard of living too high over there
Just enough fit for asses.

Ensure that the Americanos would remain always
On the top of the social ladder
So as to keep their spot high above
The rest of the world-Oh, what's the matter?

Well, all of this did not dawn on me
Until many ages gone by
Beginning with separation from the influence
Of the propaganda-making machine-Oh why?

To tell you the truth-I've had the privilege
In these ages since then
To get a new, truthful perspective on all things
Life in general, and lands, and men.

One great lesson I've learned
Is that life's not all cut and dry
That the administration doesn't always tell the truth
Oh-how they love to cover up and lie!!

And I've learned something about myself
After all those passing years
Why I cared about that Vietnam war-
Why I shed so many tears.

I was afraid about my dear brother-
The only one I've ever had to this day
That his number would come up
In the frightening draft-Oh, what a day!

I was afraid of the day to come
That he would eventually have to choose
To either serve or run
Either way-I'd be the one to lose!

My brother going away-
For me to lose his presence was my greatest fear
I know it's awfully selfish of me
But I was only a teenager-didn't you hear?

He never did serve
In Vietnam nor elsewhere in his day
Something I've always been so thankful for
In every form, shape, and way.

And as the years progressed along
And we all matured as they added up
It was me who left him behind
For another life and land-mixed up?

And so to Arabia I escaped
With the man of my dreams, as it's romantically said
To carve out for myself my own choice of life
Living in the land of the desert bed.

No sorrow nor regrets have
Plagued me through the years
Other than my separation from my birth family
And yet I've learned to live with those tears.

But this life has enriched and enlightened me
In many ways more than one
On how to be a better person
I only hope that I can become.

So back to memories of the Vietnam days
Isn't it strange how the two have entwined?
From Vietnam to Arabia in one phase-
A lifetime of memories in crossing separating lines.

No comments: